In 1959 Father Blackwell, the Parish Priest, introduced a plan to raise money to build a school in the parish. As a result of this plan the parishioners raised £67,000 & Christ The King School was built, it opened on 31st August 1964 with 185 children on role. There will be 240 children (including Nursery) on roll in the 2016/2017 academic year. The School takes most of its pupils from the catchment areas of Alfreton, Clay Cross, Blackwell, Selston, Jacksdale, Morton and South Normanton.
The Nursery is part of the main Primary School building. It was opened in 1974 and has a 26-place entry on a non-denominational basis. The School comprises of a central hall, eight classrooms, quiet room, craft room, administrative rooms and a kitchen. Meals are cooked and served on the premises. Over the last seven years the School has undergone extensive modernisation with the roof, windows and lighting all being replaced. Additionally a new classroom, library, IT suite and SEN room have been established along with the upgrading of all pupil toilets. Recently, we have extended our school entrance and refurbished the administration area, staff toilets, and staffroom. We have also created a spacious learning area for our Foundation and KS1 children.
The School provides a bright, lively, happy atmosphere and offers a broad, up to date curriculum. The staff work together as a team, share knowledge and expertise and are continuously involved in planning and decision-making. Each teacher has a responsibility for at least one curriculum area.
The School seeks to build a close relationship with both parents and the Parish & parents are encouraged to support the work of the school in many practical ways. The school is used during lunchtimes & after school for extracurricular activities.